RooBaRoo

All my Public writing

Dolch sight words

Okay, so I discovered  the "Dolch sight words". It was interesting to read it up, I am happy to know that the list was originally drawn up to facilitate kids to read kid-lit independently.
I have downloaded the flash cards from the website dolchword.net download page. I took the "Pre-primer" list, because that is the starting point, & I also guess that what is called "Nursery" in this school (3+ to 4+) would fit that description.
I spoke to my child's teacher & she told me that she will be doing "sound words" first. I somehow have a feeling that "sight words" will be needed more, will need more teaching, & also, I have trust on Vicky's teacher to be able to teach phonics. So, I have decided to teach sight words  to Vicky myself.
We started with the six words of the 1st page of the printables. The logic of the choice of words of the pre-primer list is confusing me, but right now, I am going to trust Dolche's & the website's wisdom.
It is proving difficult to teach Vicky sight words. Maybe I am expecting too much, because she learnt the alphabet from others, without any effort on my part. I think ... I think Vicky is being thick ... Ha ha! I am just repeating & revising with her, & Vibhu too. Vibhu is 2 classes senior, & knows some words, though he can learn a lot more. It is helping a bit to enthuse Vicky, but I also have to prevent it from becoming a "word-sreaming" match :D
Nutan is helping a lot. Nutan is in touch with this really good special teacher. She told me a sight word colouring game. (She has thought up this game herself, Nutan is innovative!) The game is simple, the sights words which are being practised, along with the child's own name, are written repeatedly on a page in a grid. Each word is assigned a colour, & the kid is given the crayons. You call out a word, & she colours all the repeats of that word in the page. It should work well with Vicky, as she enjoys colouring.
On a different note, since I was cribbing to Nutan about Vicky's bad grip, she suggested me mazes. Very basic level mazes, with a thick big pencil, are good exercise for a correct grasp!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I started out studying Rehabilitation. Drifted to Management. Was employed with private firms for 3 yrs... Break ke baad - Now I'm married, & have a baby girl. I'm working in Non-life Insurance, Public Sector. (Still miss clinics) My political blog is purely my opinions. About almost everything that affects us. Or someone. My personal blog is my humble attempt at humour, by being sarcastic, & I personally know people way more witty than myself ....................

Followers