RooBaRoo

All my Public writing

Rhymes my Mom used to tell

Bangla language has numerous nursery rhymes, these are called chhoda
 These are of unknown origin, & generations old.
As of now, there are several compilations, & many renditions available commercially.
Predictably, all these are geared towards the "Khoka", equivalent of "munna" or "Babu", male child.
My parents & grans substituted it with "Khuku" whean they read or sung those to me.

These are a few that I've heard from my Mom, but not elsewhere ...


Shona gaychhe konkhaane? Where's "Shona" gone?
Shaal-Piyaal-er maajhbone Amid the woods of Saal & Piyaal trees
Shekhane Shona ki kore? What does Shona do there?
Phool paade aar khela kore (S)he gathers flowers & plays

Bula Bula daak paadi "Bula, Bula", I call out!
Bula gaychhe kaar baadi? Whose place has Bula gone to?
Ay re Bula baadi aay Come Bula, Come home!
Doodh maakhaa bhaat bedaale khay Cat is eating your Milk-rice!

Taapur Toopur brishti pode Rain falls Pitter-patter
Maathaay kholaa chhata Umbrella o'erhead …
Haansh-babaji khoshmejaaje Mr Ducky, I a sunny mood
Jaachchhe Kolikaata is going to Kolikaataa
Hijoltalaa pichhol bejaay! Hijoltalaa is super slippery,
Pichhle pode thang bhenge jaay! U slip, U fall, & break a leg :(
Tai na dekhe Changda Baynga & thus observing, Rowdy frog
Bolle maathaa jhenke shakes his head!
"Haansh-babaji thang-ti shaarao "Mr Ducky! Now, go to a hospital
Haashpaataale theke!" & Repair Ur leg!"

(I & my sister felt plenty bad for Mr Ducky! Hope they took good care of him at the hospital!!)




















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I started out studying Rehabilitation. Drifted to Management. Was employed with private firms for 3 yrs... Break ke baad - Now I'm married, & have a baby girl. I'm working in Non-life Insurance, Public Sector. (Still miss clinics) My political blog is purely my opinions. About almost everything that affects us. Or someone. My personal blog is my humble attempt at humour, by being sarcastic, & I personally know people way more witty than myself ....................

Followers